Nodus Announces the “Duality” – a 40mm Dual-Crown 300M Diver
By Kaz Mirza
With each release Nodus is determined to push the envelope for production quality and where their design ethos can take them. The Duality is no exception. The Duality is such named because with it all great things come in twos:
- 2 Crowns
- 2 Colors
- 2 Bezel Options
Taking inspiration from the Super Compressor design, the Nodus Duality is intended essentially to be a tool watch. It’s got 300 meters of water resistance and a dome sapphire crystal. What’s also intriguing is that Nodus has really featured the sandwich dial construction of the Duality, which should (in theory) provide strong dynamic depth on the dial to improve legibility.
In terms of my initial thoughts from this release, it’s two-fold. Obviously the watch is beautiful, and it certainly fits into the nuanced design ethos of other Nodus pieces. You see this watch and without seeing the brand name on the dial, you can tell it’s Nodus. What I’m trying to determine is whether or not that’s a good thing. As exciting as this release is, part of me is wondering how often Nodus can iterate on their particular design flavor. The answer could obviously be “as many times as they want,” but the Nodus approach to design would be classified as “clean and nuanced,” which to me is an aesthetic sentiment that can only really be taken so far until something dramatic needs to happen.
TBWS is slated to be spending some quality wrist-time soon with the Nodus Duality for a review, so maybe my perspective will change when I actually see the watch in person. In the meantime though here’s a list of specs for you to drool over (with additional photos at the end).
Nodus “Duality” Specs:
- Dimensions: 40mm case width | 13mm thickness | 48mm lug-to-lug | 20mm lug width | 6mm crown diameter
- Dual, Screw-down crowns
- Movement: Miyota 9015 Japanese automatic movement
- Regulated in four positions (+/- 8 secs/day)
- Double-dome box sapphire crystal
- Blue anti-reflective coating on underside
- Internal rotating bezel (bi-directional, fully lumed)
- Swiss Super-LumiNova® BGW9 / Dark Green
- Water Resistance: 300 meters / 1000 feet
- Bracelet: 20mm-18mm taper | Chamfered sides
- Flip-lock button release clasp with micro-adjustments
- Weight: 74g (watch head) | 160g (with full bracelet)
- Sandwich dial construction with applied indices
- Drilled-through lugs
- Warranty: 24 months
- Pre-order Price: $600 (Full Price: $700 (kicks in Nov. 1, 2019)
- Nodus Duality Product Page
Kaz has been collecting watches since 2015, but he’s been fascinated by product design, the Collector’s psychology, and brand marketing his whole life. While sharing the same strong fondness for all things horologically-affordable as Mike (his TBWS partner in crime), Kaz’s collection niche is also focused on vintage Soviet watches as well as watches that feature a unique, but well-designed quirk or visual hook.